Thursday, August 4, 2011

One of my favorite things to eat

avocados!

I can't deny my love for this fruit.
Although, when I look at it I often time wonder who the first person was to crack one open and thought, hmmm, this could be really good to eat.
Ha ha!
It's kind of gnarly looking, don't you think?
However gnarly looking it is, I just can't help but eat them.
We buy them by the bag full from Sam's Club and I find myself checking almost every day to see if they are ripe yet.
Today was like hitting the jackpot, a couple are ready.
Since I can't eat a couple at a time I chose one to inhale.

I like to eat them many different ways, I even had some in an omelet this past weekend.
{believe it or not it was GOOD!}

But my favorite is to cut it open, scoop the green deliciousness into a bowl and smash it with a fork until it resembles this:


I know, it doesn't look appetizing.
But trust me.
Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste and inhale it with some tortilla chips.
My kids love it.
They are more than happy to have a dollop on their plate and eat it with a spoon.

Today though, I had some black beans in the fridge so I added those too.


It was soooo good!

Do you like avocados?
If so, what is your favorite way to eat them? 

7 comments:

  1. I have never tried an avocado! They just don't appeal to me and I have the eating habits of a toddler! If it does not smell good or look good I won't try it...LOL basically I live on bagels and chicken. Sad. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I love love LOVE avo!! It's so yummy! I love chopping it up on salads, I love using it as a spread on sandwiches, I love making guacamole, I love eating it plain...I just love it..haha! Oooh! And I love it in sushi. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, funny! I blogged about guacamole last weekend!! I like to puree it with a little lime juice, diced jalapeno, a little red onion, and kosher salt. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are our favorite here!! We put them on Burgers :) and like you make a dip or full on Guac with them.

    They have been pretty pricey around here though. About $3 for one......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had one, either. I'll save them all for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love avocados! I eat them as gaucamole, slice them for delicious sandwiches, chunk them to add to my salad, or simply eat them plain.

    I'm hungry just thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know they were a fruit...but I do love them! I found a McCormick mix to make guacamole that tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete