Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Be still

"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

 Life has been crazy lately.
Not crazy bad, but crazy because I have two little ones in the house.
{Adison is at a great age, but even she gets upset with the little ones.}

Some days are tough.
Some are downright exhausting.
Some days are delightful and easy peasy.

Lately though, things have been tough.

Summer is here as is the heat, oh my goodness the heat.
Needless to say, we are kind of trapped in the house.
{It's 111 today. No, that's not a typo, 111!}

The kids are done with one another.
There is button pushing galore.
Temper tantrums, crying and screaming occur multiple times a day.
No matter how many "activities" my little noggin can come up with, summer is kicking my butt.

I have also been struggling a bit.
Not that I am complaining, but mama is not on her A game.
I am feeling just as trapped by the heat as the children.

I am worn out, no ifs ands or butts about it.
I have been feeling just tired and out of sorts.

I have been feeling stretched and pulled by the Lord.
There is internal growth going on and on some level I have been resisting it.

That is until last night.
We had small group and as I have mentioned one or one thousand times, small group for me is a renewal.
God has placed us in a group where we can be completely authentic, sharing things that need to be shared but can be uncomfortable at times.
Because sometimes knowing that you need to work on something but avoiding it because you really don't want to work on something isn't enough.

Last night while talking about our new book we had some amazing conversations.

God gave me peace about my current struggles.
About feeling like if I am not living up to my own expectations that I am failing.

This morning I woke up with this verse on my heart.  

"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Be still
Be still
Be still

 This has been running through my head.
I need to be still.

When the chaos of three children is threatening to overtake me, I need to cling to this.
Be still.

When I feel overwhelmed by yet another tantrum or argument.
Be still.

When life just keeps coming and I really need to come up for air.
Be still.

I decided that today we {the kids and I} would do this.
We were still.

When the temper tantrums came, I scooped up said child.
We cuddled and I hummed some music and felt free to simply be.

I don't have to talk through each. and. every. issue.
I don't have to try to solve each of their problems as I recently have been trying to do.
No, this is not only running me ragged, but wearing me out.
Instead, we will be still.

I can't solve everything.
I can't do all.
I am not teaching them the lesson that I want to teach them if I am too worn out all the time.

Instead, I will do the best that I can.
 I will rest secure in the Lord and I will be still because I know that He is God.
I know that there will be struggles, life is filled with them.
But, I need to rest in the Lord and know that I am not in control of anything.
This gives me peace.

"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

2 comments:

  1. 111 degrees and 3 little girls with all those different personalities and desires stuck inside the house! Oh my goodness sounds like a breeding ground for cabin fever to me! I would take you out for an iced coffee if I lived closer, better yet I'd baby sit and send you out for a solo iced coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! We are having VBS at our church this week! I needed this!

    ReplyDelete