Saturday, May 21, 2011

We had a nasty storm roll in

Update:
The storms in the Midwest have been truly awful.
Someone died from a tornado in our state last night and 200 homes were destroyed.
I also just heard about another tornado hitting the town of Joplin, MO. From reports it sounds awful.
Please join me in praying for all of those affected by this terrifying and cautostrophic weather.

This evening we attending church.
The key verse that our pastor was speaking about was Philippians 1:27.

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see your or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.

He was mainly focusing on the fact that we, as followers of Christ, will experience salvation and suffering. A main point of suffering that he was speaking on was fear. We were about 3/4 of the way through the service when we heard the tornado sirens going off. This, in and of itself, was not a huge deal. {We live in Kansas after all.} However, the fact that we were in church when it went off was a first for us. We picked up the little kiddos from the nursery and met with Adison downstairs in the basement. Her church program is down there. Since there were so many people in the basement {and a ton of children} our pastor said a prayer regarding fear and our current situation. Our pastor is REALLY funny, so he had all of us laughing, kept the mood light and just handled the situation perfectly. Then our worship leader started playing some music. It was really fun and a pleasant time. {Keep in mind that we live in tornado alley, so tornado sirens going off in May is not a big surprise.} Ainsley is apparently NOT a fan of loud music though as this was her position pretty much the entire time.


All in all we were in the basement for about forty-five minutes. After we were given the all clear we decided to run an errand and head home. We had just stepped outside when someone commented on the wall cloud outside. This is what we saw. Then the sirens went off again.





I have to say that I have lived in the Midwest the majority of my life and have had my fair share of bad weather. I have NEVER seen a wall cloud like this before. I took all of these pics with my phone and the storm was actually closer than it appears here. The storm was moving the opposite way of us so we were completely safe.

I talked with my mom about all of the weather and mentioned to her the fact that our neighborhood was COVERED in leaves. It looked as though someone had picked up the trees and shook them around a bit, there were leaves everywhere. Luckily though there weren't any fallen limbs. As I was sitting in the driveway talking to here I mentioned the fact that we didn't appear to have gotten any hail at our house when I looked down and saw all of this.




I measured the hail in the bottom picture and it measured 1 1/2 inches across. After K got home I mentioned the hail to him and he told me that his friend that lives over by us called him to tell him that we had baseball sized hail by our house. Yikes!

Thankfully we are all safe and sound. We did have another storm pass through, but it just had some thunder and lightening. I am praying that the storms are done for the night.

I hope that you all are safe and had a fun Saturday!


1 comment:

  1. Wow I am glad you guys are safe and sound. Weather like that would scare me! I am from New England so I am used to the snow storms and the occasional hurricane but no tornadoes thank you very much! Ainsley not liking loud music is the first sign that her and I may not be soul mates after all :) I adore loud music ALL music actually except most rap!

    ReplyDelete