Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bridal party fainting

If you were to stop by our house on Sunday night at 6:00 you will find us watching America's Funniest Home Videos.
It is a family favorite and something that we look forward to every week.
I have to admit that I LOVE this show and have been known to watch it by myself and cackle like a mad woman throughout the entire thing.

This past week, they did a little video montage (don't you love those!?!) about people from the bridal party fainting.
We would all, "Ohhh, noooo! Ahhh! He's going to faint!" the entire time and I have to admit that they were really really funny.
By the way, if you were one of the people on AFV that fainted, I am so sorry.
Really, we were laughing WITH you not AT you.

It got me wondering how many weddings does this happen at?
I mean, you see these videos and hear stories about this all the time.
Then I remembered, "Hey, this happened at our wedding too!"
Now I didn't forget, but it just struck me as amusing that we had experienced this as well.

Flashback to our wedding:
There we all were, the bridal party, kneeling at the front of the church.
The priest was talking to everyone about marriage and to be honest I am not sure about specifics, I was really nervous because of all the people.
So, I am attempting to pay attention.
My maid of honor leans over to me and whispers,
"I'm starting to not feel well."
I think I whispered something encouraging along the lines of,
"The wedding will be over soon, do you think you will be okay?"
Seconds later, I look over and she is slowing slumping to the floor.
We were kneeling at the top of a couple of carpeted stairs and thankfully someone from the congregation rushed up and caught her before she fell.
I distinctly remember looking over and seeing my soon-to-be husband's wedding ring go rolling out of sight.
Luckily there were some doctors in the congregation and they quickly had my maid of honor awake and with it.
Poor thing was soooo embarrassed.
The docs decided to call an ambulance just to be on the safe side.
So there we are waiting for the ambulance to arrive and her brother shows up.
He starts walking down the aisle and made some funny comment about her stealing the show.
So the ambulance takes her to the hospital, we finish the ceremony, the limo driver threatens to leave and we headed over to the reception site.
My maid of honor shows up at the reception, everything was fine, but I just felt awful for her.

Has this happened at anyone else's wedding or a wedding that you have attended?

5 comments:

  1. It's moments like those that turn into memories. lol.

    My family watches AFV too. I just wish Sagat was still doing the voice-overs.

    marclimon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a wedding photographer for eleven years. I had one bridesmaid faint at the altar. One poor little flower girl wet herself and the altar steps. One bride with the flu who stopped the ceremony to upchuck in a can the groom held out for her. One groom back out and then change his mind and go through it an hour later. None of them made AFV although I saw a lot of moments that should have. That's our family show too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already left a long winded comment on BF - I ramble..it's what I do! BUT! I was thinking about fainting last night and was like..have I ever seen people REALLY faint? And then I remembered that in the MIDDLE of my university graduation ceremony it was SO hot and it was OUTSIDE and at LEAST five people fainted and had to be taken away by medics...INSANE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor thing! Something has to happen in every wedding I think. I enjoyed your story Danna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a wedding photographer for eleven years. I had one bridesmaid faint at the altar. One poor little flower girl wet herself and the altar steps. One bride with the flu who stopped the ceremony to upchuck in a can the groom held out for her. One groom back out and then change his mind and go through it an hour later. None of them made AFV although I saw a lot of moments that should have. That's our family show too.

    ReplyDelete